The Library of the Academy of Physical Education and Sport – Mission and Functions
The Library is an organizational unit which supports academic and scientific research as well as serves didactic purposes and functions of the Academy. It also responds to public demand and satisfies the needs of the readers who are not formally associated with the Academy; in this context the Library plays a vital social role in the local environment.
The theme of physical culture in broad terms, including the issues of physical culture in the region of Pomorze, determines the ongoing process of enriching the collection of the Library which consists of books, magazines and electronic sources / resource networks.
It is our mission to promote and protect this unique on the regional scale collection. We are aware that physical education-related publications create a valuable part of national heritage and we feel responsible for this part
- gather, prepare the Library’s collection and open the access to the collection in both traditional and electronic form
- facilitate and constantly modernize the access to the global information resources
- upgrade the staff qualifications in order to better the standard of the Library services
- provide the training for the Library users
- collect documents to testify scholarly achievements of the Academy’s staff
- promote the Library in the regional environment
- cooperate with institutions and institutes working in the field of education, science and culture in Poland and abroad
- promote the values vital for physical education and sport
The Library offers the collection which reflects the fields of academic and scholarly interests of broadly understood physical culture and public health. The Library furnishes the users with the titles which cover such areas as: physical education, sport, motion recreation, tourism, natural science, humanistic and social sciences in the context of physical culture (anatomy, anthropology, biochemistry, biology, ecology, biomechanics, hygiene and health promotion, medicine, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, sociology, history, statistics, economy, management, politics, law, art and culture, sport premises, and foreign languages).
The Library is also proud to be in the possession of approximately 300 volumes published in the pre-war era and in the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. Many of these publications treat about physical culture-related.
The historic premises of the Library
The premises of the Library are another pride of the Academy. The Library occupies the historic palace building of “Ludophina” which dates back to the early 19th century. The manor house is a remaining part of a whole estate which had been founded here in the middle of ?? 17th century and received the name of “Ludophine”. This historic building is surrounded by the remains of an old park with a small pond. The exquisite specimens of beautiful trees tell of the past glory of the “Ludolphine”.
Changing was the fortune of the estate as well as rich is the list of the people who lived and the owners of the premises. For example, it was here that the famous Polish patriot activist, Antoni Abraham, lived in the years 1909–1920 and hosted regional Kaszub activists. In the years 1928–1939 pro-Polish patriotic organization, Gdańska Macierz Szkolna, found home in this venue. It was in the possession of Filip Braun and his ancestors; then the new owner, Rober Kolokov, organized an extensive restoration of the manor house and the surroundings. In its history, “Ludophino” estate was also in possession of the Evangelical Union of Deacons (Ewangelicki Zwiazek Diakonistek). After the World War II became the dominion of the State Treasury.
Following a complete refurbishment in the years 1981–1984, the manor house of „Ludophino” was entrusted to the Academy of Physical Education in Gdańsk for the needs of the Main Library. Today the Library occupies 600m2 of the historic building’s total surface, in the vicinity of the Academy’s main complex.
Adapted and translated by JGM (source: Michał Januszewski, ed. Alicja Kruszyńska)